Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Variations on a Theme

Lately, I've been thinking about time.
How fluid it is,
how long it takes,
how quickly it goes.
The subject isn't new, I know.
When I'm anticipating something,
( a trip, a concert, a birthday)
I think Oh, I can't wait...
But eventually
it happens
(or it doesn't),
and suddenly
wow
it's two weeks later.

When I know that something will get better
(from a wound, to a lost love, to a death)
it's that endless stretch of time,
that limbo,
when the pain is fresh.

I think back to my childhood,
the birth of my children,
last Christmas,
last week--
how amazingly distant,
how seemingly recent.
Even 1960 seems like
just yesterday...
but it's part of my now
and changes my future
you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're leaving a comment! Good job!!