Wednesday, January 26, 2005

From the Mother of the Groom

LIFE brings all kinds of experiences our way, hmm? For years, I've talked to brides and their moms about weddings. I've suggested 'cool' things to try, helped them decide what was elegant or fun or beautiful for their special day, given them ideas about long-standing or brand-new "traditions" to use in the ceremony.

Ok...so speaking of experiences: I've been 'the florist', I've been 'the bride'....and now I'm 'the MOM'....ohmigawd.

From the distance of three and a half months before the wedding season in my little family (son in May, daughter in July), I'm thinking about some rules for myself:

1. Don't get frantic. Weddings are a lot of last-minute-making-do and we'll do it with panache. (Bring safety pins, corsage pins, wire, tape, bandaids, tampons, breath mints, gum and lotsa kleenex!)

2. Try to get a couple full night's sleep before the wedding. Tears are appropriate from the moms, but weary sentimental waterfalls are overkill.

3. Look GREAT.

4. Keep a perspective on how (un)important the flowers are....(blaspheming again...) The wedding will happen even with a wilty lizianthus blossom, and NO ONE will remember it two weeks from now.

5. CHILL.

6. It's THEIR wedding.

7. Yes, you DO have to wear lipstick and pantyhose and carry a purse.

8. You're making memories today...do it with elegance and love. It's the best gift you can give them.

9. No, you're NOT omnipotent or clairvoyant. Deal.

10. There will be things you'll wish were done differently...but so what?
"Memories Are Made of This".

OK...ten's enough for now...lol
Let's all check back here right after the weddings to see how I did, ok?
Ohmigawd....lol

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:45 AM

    Well, look at it this way, Mom. You already are/ do most of the things listed. . . you're not given to inappropriate emotionality, scene-stealing, etc., you ARE good at fixing things at the last minute, and you always look great to me:^)

    Now being a BRIDE, on the other hand. . . I have to worry about important things like: How much information to include in the save-the-date cards, whether or not to change the bridesmaid dresses to chartreuse (instead of orange), and how to avoid getting a sunburn that will look goofy with my beautiful wedding dress while I train for Grandma's Marathon!

    You'll be fine. It's ME you should worry about! (lol, hee hee)

    ILY,
    Louie

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving a comment! Good job!!