Friday, April 29, 2005

A visible vehicle

I read an article recently about how people who drive SUV's believe they're invincible on the road, taking chances by advantage of their size and the amount of metal around them, and that small-car drivers are much more likely to abide by the rules of the road, like speed limits, and to take NO chances in their little tin cans.

It made sense.
I'm much more cautious around a semi than around mini coopers.

(Hey, if there's not much on the radio during my drive to work, I just ponder stuff like this, ok? Then, with any luck, YOU get to read about it...lol)

Yesterday, I had to be at work at 7 AM. Lovely early morning drive time across the prairie.....on a road where I had a bad accident 5 years ago in broad daylight....totaling my big red Explorer.

You'd think that visability would be an asset at dawn, right? An advantage anytime, really-- in the rain, at twilight, in the fog, on the highway, during snowstorms--but that woman didn't SEE me in that huge red truck on a clear sunny day!

So why, if I live in Minnesota, would I choose white for the color of my vehicle? I mean, if I plowed into a snowbank, they might not find me til spring, right?

Ahh, but white stands out against green or brown fields, blue or gray skies, red or green or golden foliage....and EVERYBODY drives more carefully in the winter anyway, so I'm safe all year 'round, hehehe...and of all the vehicles on the road yesterday morning, the only distinguishable car color was white.
I figure, if I can see them, they can see me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're leaving a comment! Good job!!