Monday, December 22, 2008

What do we "deserve"?

You deserve a break today

The schools our children deserve...

Do the Detroit automakers deserve a bailout?

Women Deserve Better

Customers Deserve More from Microsoft

Kids Deserve Justice

Animals deserve better

The war we deserve...

Did Brooke Burke Deserve to Win 'Dancing with the Stars'?

We get the government we deserve...

For some reason, I've been noticing the word "deserve" lately. Could be curmudgeonly of me, but I think that to deserve means you've earned something, beyond just being a good compliant American consumer.
It's a slippery word. What, if anything, do I deserve? A good job...a healthy family...shelter...happiness? I want those things, for sure, and strive for them, but do I DESERVE them?
Ok, how about convienences....like working appliances, hot running water, decent tires for the truck? Again, I want those things and work to maintain them, but most of the world lives without thinking about 'em. Ever.
Do we deserve respect? Good schools? Safe streets? Adequate medical services? The internet?
Sigh. I have no answers. It's just something that's been bugging me lately.

In the words of Jack Benny:

I don't deserve this award, but I have arthritis and I don't deserve that either.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:35 AM

    In a twist on the DESERVE or Entitlement Mentality, I recently saw a lawyers TV ad where he had the absolute gall to say this statement:
    "Studies have shown that in most cases, auto accidents are caused by the other guy's negligence"
    If you just let that play as noise in a commercial and don't really listen, it sounds like something a lawyer might say in a commercial as he mutters along, filling up the time he has paid for on the air. But it's actually a statement that insults his audience's intelligence, isn't it?

    I deserve a better commercial viewing experience!
    Carry On,
    Larry

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving a comment! Good job!!