Monday, January 16, 2006

Words found under the pasta machine

Downstairs in my former "craft room", I had my clay stored neatly and well. It was protected from the air with plastic wrap and stowed in a plastic shoebox. No sweat.
My pasta machine, however, was still clamped to the table....right where I'd used it last. (No, it's never been used on FOOD, and never will be used for anything but clay, ok? Umm, it has impossible-to-remove clay-turds inside).
When I unscrewed the clamp and lifted the thing, I discovered a list I'd forgotten about:

"Words that are Written but Seldom Spoken"

Whoo-whee! Exciting, huh? How can I NOT share it with you?

Taut
Copse
Inchoate
Eschew
Accidie
(I know, that last one? It means sloth or torpor. Two more for the list!)
Sloth
Torpor
Oeuvre

Ok, do you have any to add?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:34 AM

    I'm reading a book I think you might really enjoy, it's called Bee Season by Myla Goldberg. Here's more information on it - http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/0500/goldberg/

    Mysticism and Spelling and the magic of language -- will you be able to resist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only could she not resist, she's already read it, and furthermore, lent it to me last year.

    Believe I still have it, actually:-)

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving a comment! Good job!!